phone line to RS232 (com port) or USB

Old February 8th 13, 12:22 PM
sitewizard sitewizard is offline

Default phone line to RS232 (com port) or USB

Hi,

I'm trying to find a "little black box" that will connect to my PC with a USB or RS232 connector and allow me to find out of the phone is "off the hook".

If anyone has seen a box (or circuit diagram) to allow this (perhaps it would be as simple as enabling the CTS or DTR pins on com port) - then I'd LOVE to hear from you!

I'm trying to record calls - but relying on the noise level coming in the LINE IN (which is what I do now) is dreadfully different from call to call and long silences cause drop outs etc. Knowing that the line was up could start record and line back down can drop it.

Any help MUCH MUCH appreciated.

All the best to you all,
Rich.