Old November 21st 13, 01:40 PM
tellows tellows is offline

Question Business seeks advice on integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers!

Hello all!

I'm posting to ask for some technical advice on British routers for our company, tellows.

Based in Germany, tellows provides an online platform in over 40 countries on which users can report their experiences with telephone numbers. This data is compiled and, via an algorithm, a trustworthiness rating (on a scale of 1-9) is generated for each number. Effectively, therefore, the website acts as an online phone number database that users can consult when faced with a call from an unknown number.

To make this tool even more effective, the tellows team have found ways to link the database directly with a telephone line, whether landline or mobile, so that the trustworthiness score will appear automatically on your caller display when a call comes through. For mobile phones, we have formulated Android and iPhone apps. In Germany, as far as landlines are concerned, we have successfully imported xml files of 'untrustworthy' numbers (score 7-9) into the Fritz!Boxes (Germany's leading router); this means that incoming calls are filtered through the 'phonebook' element of the router, so that untrustworthy calls will be picked up on and the score displayed on the caller display. We have also, as an alternative, used Asterisk systems to ping real-time queries to the tellows API.

We're now looking to go further and expand the service we can offer to our international market, and to do this, we are seeking advice from telecoms and router experts about the viability of using tellows in conjunction with other systems/routers.

We'd like to use this thread to discuss UK telecommunications systems that could be used to make this 'integration' possible.

The sorts of things we'd like to know a

Are there any routers that would allow the import of tellows 'scorelists' in the same way that the Fritz!Box does, i.e. does the router contain the 'phonebook' element that the Fritz!Box does, and are xml file imports possible?

Which router manufacturers use Asterisk and allow you to install plugins on telecommunications systems? We're particularly interested in the key routers from the Big 4, namely BT, Sky, Virgin Media and TalkTalk.

What alternatives to Asterisk are available on widely-used telecommunications systems that would be compatible with tellows?

We'd really appreciate any feedback and ideas that you may have.

Thanks in advance!
Ellen
The tellows team